Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Help! I Don’t Know What to Do!


Are you one of those people who are always trying to figure out what God wants you to do with your life?  Do you struggle with indecision?  Should I take this job or go in that direction?

Although decisions can be a challenge, they can be made a little easier when we listen carefully to God’s promptings.  If your immediate thought is, “But he doesn’t speak to me!” or “How do I know it is him and not me?” read on.

For me, I have (humorously) found that for the bigger decisions, God often takes a few months.  That time is definitely well-spent, but can seem excruciatingly long.

While I am waiting for his prompting, I pay careful attention to a few things:

--What doors seem to be opening and which ones are closing?

--Am I trying to convince myself to go a certain way?

--Am I basing my decision on money alone?
 
--Will my personal gifts be a good match for the work that needs to be done?

--Do I have a growing sense of peace about going in a particular direction?

These are just a few things that I ask myself as God’s glorious plan begins to unfold, which it always does.  Things start to fall into place that help me make my decision.  Usually, along with the opening and closing of doors, there is just this deep down sense of the way to go.

I have learned that it is important to accept that there may not be a right or wrong way to go.  I always say we have to choose between all of the good things that God puts before us, so no matter what we decide, if we have taken it to God in prayer and followed our best instincts, God will be in it with us.

Many people wonder how to determine whether it is their own desires leading them, or if it is God’s will.

A couple of things come to mind—first, it is usually pretty easy for me to tell if it is my idea or God’s by how easy/hard it is going to be and, most especially, whether it is an idea/path I would have come up with myself.  Sometimes God’s plan takes me by surprise, as in, “Where did that idea come from?”

Secondly, I follow some sage advice I was recently given: God puts desires on our hearts, so we shouldn’t try to suppress them as we discern.  His will may be planted in our desires.  

Sr. Ann Shields, a prolific Catholic writer/speaker, told me one time that we are mistaken if we think we have to “figure out” God’s plan for us, because he will show us the way. 

I don’t think God tries to hide his way from us so that we have to spend our time guessing. I have returned to sister’s sound advice time and again, confidently placing my trust in God, knowing he will guide me, because no one loves us more.  

Now if your decision has to be quick and you don’t have time for the great unfolding of God’s plan, you will do fine, especially if you have been close to him all along.  Turn to him in prayer and ask for help.  Do your best to wait on his response, because it will be your path to peace and joy.

But here’s the good news.  If you haven’t been close to God, he will still be there for you.  

I would suggest, however, since you know that you are not going to be able to avoid challenging decisions in the future, why not start today to grow closer to him so you will be ready when the time comes?

Have a blessed day in God's love.

Janet Cassidy
Janetcassidy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment