Monday, March 22, 2010

Miley Cyrus on faith

Ugh. I was reading in Parade (March 21, 2010) the young actress/singer, Miley Cyrus' take on religion. Popular from her Hannah Montana television series and her famous father, Billy Ray Cyrus, this 17 year-old gave her opinions about faith.

Here's what she was quoted as saying in Parade on this subject:

"My faith is very important to me, but I don't necessarily define my faith by going to church every Sunday. Because now when I go to church, I feel like it's a show. There are always cameras outside. I am very spiritual in my own way. Let me make it clear, though--I am a Christian. Jesus is who saved me. He's what keeps me full and whole. But everyone is entitled to what they believe and what keeps them full. Hopefully, I can influence people and help them follow the same path I am on, but it is not my job to tell people what they are doing wrong."

Okay, being 17, I'll give her a break, but I think her viewpoint is one which has been adopted by many young people in our culture today--and it is not good. Not at all.

If you are a Christian--a follower of Christ--than you pay attention to what he did when he walked on this earth. One of the things he did was leave a model for us of community. He spent time in community with his followers. He never indicated that a "me and God" attitude was the rule. He never talk from a relativistic viewpoint that said as long as you are satisfied, than all is good.

Jesus taught about suffering. He showed us what it means to love. His life revealed sacrifice. He certainly did not live with a "me" mentality, separated from others in worship and prayer.

I could say a lot about this, but I really can't say it any better than my sixteen year old--If she really wants others to follow her in following God, then she should go to church. Then, when everyone sees her there, maybe they'll go to church as well.

God bless,
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment