Thursday, September 13, 2018

Covenants & Contracts, Grace & Sacraments



Several years ago I was on television for a segment that highlighted an event I was promoting.  It was a very short segment at noon, but it was memorable to me.

An associate priest and myself were being interviewed by the local news anchor.  The thing I remember most was how hot it was under the glaring lights, as well as how “fake” it seemed.

Honestly, I do not know how those television people do it day in and day out without looking like their skin is melting.  I now know why sometimes I see them wearing sleeveless tops in the middle of winter!

When I was relating my experience to one of my brothers afterward, he acknowledged that he had heard that it seems fake when you are on a set like that.  He sure was right.

By fake, I mean, you are greeting people on-screen as if it is the first time you are meeting with them, when just prior to their “Good afternoon” you have already had a conversation with them.  It was a lot of fun, though, I must say.

Anyway, the other thing I remember most about that day was going out to lunch with our associate priest.  We were both hungry, so we settled into a local restaurant for a light conversation.  As a sort-of young wife and mother, I mentioned to him the priority I had for my children.  

“My children are most important, my focus,” I said, to which he replied,
“and . . . your husband.”  

“Well, of course,” I nodded in agreement, but in that instant, he casually shined a spotlight on a perspective I needed to reflect on.  You see, when you are busy raising kids, it is too easy to make them your priority, even over your spouse. I’m not sure I ever did that, but I think it is a danger.  Maybe it is because kids demand more time and attention than a spouse does, or so it may seem.  I think that was his point.

Spouses must come first.  Even before the children.  As my mother used to say, “Someday the kids will grow up and move out.”  (I can hear some of you with adult children still at home laughing at this moment, thinking, “Really? When does that happen exactly?”)

But the truth is, the *Sacrament of Matrimony is a covenant we make with our spouse before God.  As you may know, covenants are not the same as contracts.  Whereas contracts can be broken when one party walks away, a covenant cannot.  Lucky for us, our covenant with God stands strong, even when we forget about him, he does not forget about us.

But I digress.

It’s funny how conversations like that one with our associate can stick with you for years, when wisdom is spoken with such clarity.  Sometimes God speaks into situations, leaving us profoundly grateful and often surprised.  

For more information about sacraments, Catholic annulments or grace, check out the websites below.  I think you may find them helpful and informative.

 
Janet Cassidy
Janetcassidy.com

*Sacraments in the Catholic Church are a visible sign of grace at work in one’s life.  Sacraments are “instituted by Christ” and make us holy.  

Read more about the Sacrament of Matrimony

Read more about annulments

Read more about grace

No comments:

Post a Comment