Thursday, March 21, 2019

Be Strong and Take Heart!


From the cross (Gospel of Luke, Chapter 23, Verse 46) Jesus cries out: 
“Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.”

Did you know that these words come from Psalm 31?

Scripture quotes Jesus as saying that one line, which is a definitive statement that speaks of him submitting to the will of the Father, before he takes his final breath.

But, what if we reasonably speculate that Jesus may have had the entirety of that Psalm committed to memory?  What if it were on his mind and in his heart as he hung there on the cross? 

What image does the rest of the Psalm provide as we pray it in light of what we now know of the pain and suffering Jesus endured, not only from the cross, but during the events leading up to it as well?

A new, fuller picture of the depth of his love emerges for us indeed.

Perfectly, the Psalmist cries out for help, speaks of trust in the Father, and delivers a final proclamation of hope.

I have selected some verses from Psalm 31.  Contemplate them with fresh eyes from the cross and especially in light of what you may be going through in your 
own life today:

“In your justice deliver me; incline your ear to me; make haste to rescue me!”
 (Verses 2-3)

“You are my rock and my fortress; for your name’s sake lead and guide me.” (4)

“Free me from the net they have set for me, for you are my refuge.” (5)

“Be gracious to me, Lord, for I am in distress; with grief my eyes are wasted, 
 my soul and body spent.” (10)

“My life is worn out by sorrow, my years by sighing.  My strength fails in
 affliction; my bones are consumed.” (11)

“But I trust in you, Lord; I say, ‘You are my God.’” (15)

“My times are in your hands; rescue me from my enemies, from the hands of
 my pursuers.” (16)

“Once I said in my anguish, ‘I am shut out from your sight.’ Yet you heard my
 plea, when I cried out to you.” (23)

“Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” (25)

These beautiful, unforgettable words, can easily form a prayer for us this Lent.  Let them speak to you.  Let them plead on your behalf when your strength is spent, your body worn out.

And finally, use these words to cling to when you are in need, crying out in confidence and hope in the Lord, when your own mouth cannot form the words to express your heartfelt need.

God bless,
Janet Cassidy
Janetcassidy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment