Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Sewing the Message of Salvation


Lately it seems that I cannot set out on any sewing project without a screwdriver in my hand, but this last attempt took two.  I am not kidding.  After I figured out, once again, how to load the bobbin into my sewing machine, I noticed the little plate under the presser foot moving up and down as I tried to sew, preventing my stitches from landing neatly on the cloth.

An hour later, after re-setting two screws and trying to make another fit, I finally got back to work . . . just in time to get dinner going.

You see, many years ago my grandma made me a crazy quilt for my bed based on my promise to quit sucking my thumb—something I hope to one day accomplish.

Therefore, as a young mom, I decided I would do what Grandma did—I would make a quilt. It didn’t happen, but fortunately I had cut out most of the pieces of material for a child-sized quilt and stored them away, so today all I really need to do is figure out how the pieces go together and begin sewing.

Although I am a detail person—just ask my kids about my “attention to detail” mantra—I also try to step back and look at the big picture and see how things connect.  As well, I am interested in how systems work, what the greater message might be in any given situation, and how history is being written as things unfold around me.

I find myself reflecting in that way a lot lately as I consider the much-needed purging in the Church.  I find it interesting that this is taking place during the fresh push for evangelization (big picture.)  Confession, contrition and justice must begin for evangelization to become effective, but not for the purpose of evangelization per se, but rather for the purpose of healing.

Confessing one’s sins is nothing new for a Catholic.  In the Sacrament of Reconciliation, we understand that contrition for our sins must be expressed to a priest (who in every sacrament is in *Persona Christi, regardless of his personal sins. This is not a dismissal of his sins but an awareness of the power of God to work beyond them.)

For more on the Sacrament of Reconciliation, check out this GREAT video Understanding Why We Confess.  (This website has TONS of information.)

When we bring our sins before God in sacrament, we ask for forgiveness, but the ultimate purpose is to heal our relationship with God and our brothers and sisters, with whom our relationship is always hurt by our transgressions. The priest, in the *Person of Christ, also represents the larger church to whom we need to be reconciled.  Naturally, part of our confession is the promise to try, with God's help, to sin no more. 

Although we may not realize it, no sin is truly private, as it hurts the entire Body of Christ; it affects our thoughts, attitude and actions.

The Church-wide confession as of late is necessary for healing to take place and for evangelization to move forward.  We are in a painful moment in time, a very dark place in history, but we can see already that it has the potential of having the greatest cultural impact, both on the Church and within society.  It is as though we are entombed on Good Friday, anticipating Easter.

Evangelization has been the Church’s mission forever.  Jesus himself sent his disciples out on mission to spread the Good News of salvation.  But when they went out, they took nothing with them.  Exposed as they were to the elements and the generosity of others, they had to go forth in humility.  They met people along the way, proclaiming the message, carrying humility in submission to the gospel with them.  

The message was the same then as it is today, and it is what allows the Church to continue moving forward, seeking forgiveness and healing in the midst of this moral and spiritual crisis within some members of its body.

Can we continue the mission effectively and help direct the culture toward God, even today?  Can we stitch the message of salvation firmly, back into our communities?

We must.  Since Christ is always victorious over evil, I am counting on it, and place my confidence in God.

Janet Cassidy
Janetcassidy.com

* Going Deeper: In Persona Christi

“By virtue of sacramental consecration, the ordained priest does not simply become a functionary. This consecration does not set him apart to simply perform certain tasks in the Church. No, by virtue of the sacramental consecration which the priest receives, he is ontologically changed. He is configured to the Person of Jesus Christ, Head and Shepherd, in a new way in his very being. "The relation of the priest to Jesus Christ, and in him to his Church, is found in the very being of the priest by virtue of his sacramental consecration/anointing and in his activity, that is, in his mission and ministry." Just as at Baptism and Confirmation the Christian is sacramentally marked on the soul, so is the man who is ordained a priest marked sacramentally and configured to Christ the Priest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment