Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Two Things You Should Know and One Thing I Learned!

#1 I hope you will read my new blog post for today, but first I want to tell you something I am excited about and get your feedback, because there is no point in me doing any of this if YOU aren't interested!

I am trying something new.  At my podcast link janetcassidy.blubrry.net I have added a new item called "Opening God's Word."  This will be a place that I put my scripture reflections like those I used to do when I did communion services.  They will show up on the main page, but will also be grouped together under the new tab as well.

These are super short and are pretty much a way to bring out a passage's message for those who want a simple, concise thought for the day. (I will start out with just a couple a week for now, God willing.)

They are strictly focused on scripture, unlike my longer podcasts which can cover a variety of topics.

Please let me know what you think.

#2 I am posting my latest blog below, as usual.  As always, I welcome your comments.



One Thing I learned
My husband and I went to a cider mill on a cool, sunny day for a walk along the river.  We actually went there for the sugar doughnuts, but the walk was nice too.

We went during the week, which we have never done before.  Usually the only time we can go is on the weekend, and in the fall there is a long, long line.  On this day, there was just a spattering of people here and there, but no long line and lots of quiet while we sat amongst the wind-blown trees.

As we quickly discovered, our guests at the picnic table were several, quite unwelcome bees.  How is it that they find us so fast? my husband said, not so much asking as making a statement as he swatted them away.

They were unrelenting.  One even went in his cup of apple cider!  Finally, we finished our doughnuts and went on our way, clearly losing the battle over the doughnuts and cider.

We always taught our kids when we were camping that they had couldn’t kill spiders and such when they were on our campsite because we were in their house.  We tried to instill in them a sense of respect, but admittedly, when those little creatures come into MY house, the rules quickly change.

I know that sounds mean, but no one has ever confused me with St. Francis, that’s for sure.

Honestly, I never understood how people could be afraid of snakes, or, as my mom was, mice.  They are not nearly as scary as spiders.  Yes, I know I have written about my spider problem before, but every year about this time, they become a problem and you have to listen to me complain about them.

In our basement, even though it is finished off, we get HUGE ones that appear out of nowhere and hang in the corner. I think they are Daddy Long Legs.

When I was lamenting about them one day, my husband helpfully said, “Well, 
that isn’t anything compared to the hundreds of them that live in the ceiling!”

Thanks a lot.

You see my hero husband can squish them in a tissue; I sweep them up, always assuming they will suffocate in the sweeper, until my husband, once again, being helpful, said, “They can’t suffocate, they don’t have lungs!”

What?

I figured he was messing with me, since they are alive they must be able to breathe, right?  What do I know, science was never my thing. So I decided to go online and find out more about them.  By the second website, I was confused about whether my enemies are even actually Daddy Long Legs, and after two pages of creepy pictures, I gave up learning more about them.

Interesting fact I did learn, though—apparently spiders (probably depending on which kind) don’t have nasal passages or lungs.  That is really bad news for me.

All I know is that when they go into my sweeper, far as I know, they don’t come out.  If you know for a fact that I am not suffocating them, please don’t tell me.  If they are out of site, to my mind, they are goners. 

I have been perfectly happy making my ignorant assumption about spiders.  I can believe whatever I want if it makes me happy.

Some people think that Christians do the same thing when it comes to faith, but they don’t.  We neither make ignorant assumptions, nor believe whatever makes us happy.

With over two thousand years of historical events and people, reality speaks for itself. Jesus isn’t a figment of our imagination.  There is no denying his death and resurrection.  There were people there, at the time, who witnessed it all.  They risked their lives to testify to it.

Even today, through our own experiences of God, we continue to give witness to his presence.  There is no shortage of people around the world, even today, who risk their lives every day for the gospel.

And Christians definitely do not simply believe because it makes them happy, because following Jesus is not a bed of roses.  Sometimes we are compelled to do things that are very hard.  Ultimately, there comes great joy to those who believe and follow Jesus, but it would be much easier to take a shortcut if happiness were the solitary goal.

The problem is, of course, in doing so, in looking for the easy way, we risk eternal life in the process, because the only true path to salvation is Jesus.
So while making ignorant assumptions may work when it comes to suffocating spiders, it can never work when it comes religion.  And after so many centuries, I am confident in saying that Christianity can never be suffocated.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blubrry.net
janetcassidyinspirations.wordpress.com
Email:  johnseven38@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment