Saturday, September 3, 2022

Information Consumers

I was listening to an interview with Matthew Warner, the founder and CEO of Flocknote (a communication tool used by parishes), and he said something interesting in his interview.  He was being interviewed by Matthew Kelly, a very popular author.

An engineer turned communication guru, Warner's take on social media was interesting. You know how you know something, but sometimes a person will say it in such a way that it really hits you?  Well, that's what happened to me.

In referring to all of the content we surf online--celebrity gossip, politics, news and so forth--he said that we should consider that most of what we take in is not necessary.  Now I know that doesn't shock you.  It didn't me either.  But, as he continued pointing out that we've become a nation of consumers when it comes to information, instead of thinkers, it gave me pause.

I mentally reviewed the time I spend on my phone.  I have to admit, most of the information I take in is quite useless.  Admittedly, it might be entertaining at times, but it isn't moving me forward at all when it comes to my spiritual or personal growth, or my ability to contribute to society.  In fact, as he intimated, that information takes up space in my head where other, useful and more important things could reside.

So, as I share this with you--even though it may not be new to you--I ask you to consider your online surfing habits and see if you, too, may need to make a change.  I know some of you are already on the right track and have given up some of those habits, but for those of you who spend endless amounts of time taking in information that you will never use, consider this a challenge!

Warner noted that everything is a choice, and if he is choosing the internet over engaging with his kids, that's a habit that needs to change.

Of course, I hope reading my blog isn't the first thing you change!!

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

#flocknote
#matthewkelly
#makingchanges
#breakinghabits


No comments:

Post a Comment