Monday, November 14, 2022

Living Large

I was very uplifted by the love and condolences poured out by so many on the occasion of the passing of Father Bill Wegher.

It occurred to me that he was one of those people that everyone claimed as a friend and spiritual guide.  Some people were inspired by his teaching, others by his humor, and still others by his love of nature.  Just when you thought you knew him, a new story would pop up that revealed how multi-faceted his life was.

I've always thought that the people who attend your funeral are a reflection of the wideness of your reach, of your life, of your love.  I sat in the back of the crowded church and happened to look down the side aisle in front of me.  In that little space I saw two walkers leaning against the brick wall, a young man, and a few older ladies.  I saw a priest in tears over his casket, friends sharing nervous laughter, and a huge turnout of his brother priests and deacons.

Clearly, he lived and served in a wide circle, one that did not have limits.  I remember him telling me one time when he was serving on a college campus, he had some guy stop him in a parking garage and ask him to hear his confession.  There weren't really any boundaries to his priesthood.  He certainly did not limit himself to within the walls of a church.  Nor did he limit himself to Catholicism.  He had a very ecumenical heart and, although wholeheartedly devoted to his priesthood, he recognized God working in others outside the Church.

I only mention this because I hope that you, too, find a way to live large.  I'm not talking about living recklessly, but living free of criticism, rigidity, unencumbered by preconceived ideas about what life as a Christian should look like.  I am hoping that you do not try to force your way of practicing your faith on others, restricting or burdening them by your ways.

We just have one job, and that is to love others.  That can be hard enough.  Leave the rest to God.   In doing so, you will find true freedom.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

#ecumenism
#livinglarge
#christians


No comments:

Post a Comment