Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Why was I created?

Sometimes when I have time to myself and can really get into prayer, I start on one thing and then I am led down a road and end up someplace entirely different from where I started.  That happened to me the other night.

I was praying for a grace.  In the spirit of St. Ignatius, I asked God what grace he thought I needed.  To my surprise, he responded that I need to pray for patience.  Now this is very interesting because, for the most part, I am quite a patient person.  I simply did not see how that was what I needed to pray for, but who am I to argue with God? 

Anyway, this led me down a strange road to contemplate conception.  Don't ask me how I got there, I have no idea, but, it certainly led me to contemplate why I got here!  

Isn't it amazing that in the blink of an eye, God created us through two other human beings whom he brought together?  You might think it happens coincidentally, by luck, but that is not the case.

You and I are here because God created us, and in just a split second, he made it happen.  Of course, in the snap of a finger, I could just as easily not be here.  I know that is a frightening thought to some of you ;-)

Anyway, all of this leaves us with the age old question, "Why did God create me?"  That is a very deep question, the answer to which will lead us to the conclusion that God created us for more than work and busyness.  There has to be more to life, right?

Also amazing to me is that God allows us to share in his work of creation by procreating. People, make more people, through the hand of God.  Awesome, right?

Each of us can wrestle with that big question about why God created us as an individual, and the best place to begin is with love.  God, who is love, created us out of love, to love. We are not his puppets; he has not abandoned us; he continues to call us closer to him every day.  He is intimately connected to us.

I'll leave the rest for you to think about in terms of your own life, but be sure to begin there, with love. Just remember, you were intentionally created, in a moment in time, for a purpose.  If you have not yet figured out why, don't worry, it will be revealed to you if you ask the one who created you!

Of course, now that you and I have been created and are hopefully maturing in our faith, we can face life with great expectation, for the God who created us always knows what he is doing!

Let's be thankful for life this Thanksgiving (and continue to pray for the unborn).  May you be free from sickness and loneliness and have all that you need.

I welcome your thoughts.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
#creation
#whydidgodcreateus
#thanksgiving

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment