Tuesday, January 31, 2023

When the Boat is Sinking

 


I was reading a scripture reflection from RegnumChristi.org through the Laudate App. "On the Way There" (January 28, 2023) and a point was made that I hadn't considered before.

Referring to the account of Jesus sleeping in a boat that was getting tossed around by a storm, where his disciples woke him up in a bit of panic, we learn of Jesus' power to calm the sea.  He says to the sea, "Quiet! Be Still" and it immediately calms down.  (Mark 4:39)

I never really considered that Jesus was directing what happens, rather than simply responding to a situation.  The reflection raises the question we should be asking ourselves: "Do I take Christ into my boat and let him indicate what I must do in my life?"

"When life hurts and it makes no sense, we need to deepen our faith in the One who has conquered sin and death.  He will write the final chapter in our life.  He will bring us to the safe harbor."  

Like the disciples in the boat, if your confidence in Jesus slips when you hit rough water, all you have to do is call out to him.  He is there, as both Savior and guide.

A good way to pray when you are feeling lost or afraid is to simply ask Jesus for protection:  "Lord, I need you. Protect me from the evil one. Show me the way in which I should walk. Never let me be separated from you."

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

 


No comments:

Post a Comment