Wednesday, May 22, 2024

What a Morning!

 


It all started with two ripe bananas, a new-to-me mixer and the ridiculous notion of "softening" butter on a plate.

What a morning!

After I "over-softened" the butter, I took it out of the microwave and dumped half the plate of melted butter down my apron, across the counter and all over the floor.

Before I could continue, I had to mop the floor, rinse out my apron, and wipe down the counter and cupboards.

Then, I took out more butter to soften naturally, a couple of eggs, and started again.

My mother-in-law had given me her older mixer/chopper/blender, so I was excited to give it a try.  I mixed up my ingredients, folded in some chocolate chips and carefully placed it in the oven, looking forward to seeing how my banana bread would turn out. It was looking good!

But, after placing my pan in the oven, I turned around to face my dishes and realized I had forgotten to add the butter! (I had set it out in a place I normally don't put it.) Out of the oven the slightly warm batter came, and back into the mixer it went, the butter finally making it into the bowl.  Needless to say, my banana bread had become chocolate banana bread.

Surprisingly, thankfully, it tasted fine and was worth the effort.

You see, I had all the ingredients I needed, but I made quite a mess of things.  Still, I didn't give up, and eventually things came together.

As I discovered, there is always potential in the messes we make. That is true of our world today.  While we operate imperfectly, the good news is that God doesn't leave us in the chaos. He never gives up on us.

The beauty of this arrangement is that God trusts us to do what we should, and to keep striving to the end.  If we find ourselves in a mess, he's right there, helping us mop it all up.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/
https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy




 

No comments:

Post a Comment