I wonder if you can relate to this event in the Gospel of Matthew (Chapter 14:22-36).
It's the familiar passage of Peter getting out of the boat and walking on the water after Jesus told him to "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."
It's a big step which I think we can all appreciate.
I was reading a reflection in the Gaudete App for August 3, 2026 and I was stirred by a couple of lines.
First, in referring to Peter's courage and faith, it says, "Imagine how strong Peter felt in the Lord, walking on water, defying the laws of nature!" "
And when he started to sink . . .
"[Peter] looked at himself, he doubted, he remembered he could not walk on water, and he started to sink. We cannot do what the Lord can do, and we are called to remember that, believe in him and keep our eyes fixed on him. He gives the courage we do not have when we need it."
How often have we felt confident that God was calling us to do something, only to allow doubt to creep in when we looked at ourselves?
Maybe you think you can't do that job, or have that baby, or stand up for yourself. Maybe you don't feel you have what it takes to live a religious vocation, give up your single life to marry, or face an uphill health battle.
Don't allow your personal doubts or fears to stop you from doing whatever God is calling you to do.
Count on God and "keep your eyes fixed on him."
Pray for peace, joy, and an end to war.
Janet Cassidy
Email me at: jmctm2@gmail.com
janetcassidy.com
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/
https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy

No comments:
Post a Comment