Saturday, August 15, 2026

Turn to Mary and Jesus when suffering

 


I was reflecting on the Agony in the Garden in the Gospel of Matthew and it occurred to me that while we often focus on the divinity of Jesus, sometimes we might overlook his human nature.

While Jesus is 100% divine and 100% human, undivided, it can be helpful for us to reflect on his words just prior to his arrest. They reveal his deep connection with our own experiences of sorrow and grief:

"My soul is sorrowful even to death," he said, as he continued to pray, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will."

In "Where is my cure, God?" I wrote about the struggle we have when we do not get the answer we want in prayer, especially in regards to suffering, but today I want to talk about the significance of Jesus being so close to us that he understands personally what we go through.

Having a God who is not distant from us, but who has experienced the great pain, loneliness and suffering that we go through as mortal beings living in this world, should give us hope as we look to the resurrection.

The pain of the cross was surely not easy, but it was fruitful.

On this Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I am reminded of her front-row seat to everything Jesus went through. The pain that pierced her like a sword must have been almost unbearable for this fully human mother.

But, as I heard at Mass this morning, today is Mary's Easter, as she was assumed body and soul into heaven. 

We can see that God's divine plan included not only Jesus, but his mother as well, when it comes to their understanding our pain and connecting us to them. They have the unique position of helping us navigate the suffering of this world, while looking toward the next, especially since they have first-hand knowledge of the heartache our humanity can bring.

Mary's assumption, as I was reminded today, is what will happen to all of us. Maybe we won't actually be assumed, but our life will (hopefully) end in heaven, in eternal life.

So let us learn from Jesus and Mary and follow their obedience to the Father, and remember that although our grief may be profound today, it is temporary, and love will always be victorious over it.

Pray for peace, joy, and an end to war.

Janet Cassidy
Email me at:  jmctm2@gmail.com

janetcassidy.com
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/
https://www.youtube.com/@janetcassidy 

 

 

  

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment