Monday, January 10, 2022

STOP SHOUTING!

I was praying over the readings for the Baptism of the Lord, reflecting on the first reading which was from the Prophet Isaiah (Chapter 42).  The Christian approach to this passage is to consider it a foretelling of the work of Christ.

I read:

Thus says the LORD:
Here is my servant whom I uphold,
     my chosen one with whom I am pleased,
upon whom I have put my spirit;
     he shall bring forth justice to the nations,
not crying out, not shouting,
     not making his voice heard in the street.
a bruised reed he shall not break,
     and a smoldering wick he shall not quench,
until he establishes justice on the earth;
     the coastlands will wait for his teaching.

Let's focus in on that middle part, "not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street, a bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering wick he shall not quench."

I think we get that this is characteristic of Christ, but as imitators of Christ, is it characteristic of us?

How often are we shouting to be heard today, sometimes even in the streets?  That's not what Jesus did. Do we, like, him, tenderly help those who are bruised by life, or gently approach the person whose faith is smoldering?

Or, do we ignore or criticize those who are down on their luck and harshly preach to those whose faith is wavering?

Yes, the Lord's spirit is in Jesus who brings justice to all, but since we received the Lord's spirit in baptism, we, too, are called to carry on as he did, to the best of our ability.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

 



No comments:

Post a Comment